Looking at the range of Gunn & Moore cricket bats to review, I realised that getting your head around which of the various models offer which type of performance to suit certain batting styles is hard.
Here then is a summary of how to choose the best Gunn & Moore adult cricket bat based on their shape your preferred hitting style.
Position on bat you connect with the ball
Cricket bats are designed to assist batsmen & women based on where they generally play the ball on the face of the bat. You might prefer to connect with the ball high, low or in the middle of the bat.
This is generally dictated by the position of the swell or spine on the back of the cricket bat, which give weight to a certain area, Gunn & Moore call this the position of the sweet spot.
Gunn & Moore accommodate these styles with the following bats:
Gunn & Moore cricket bats that play well from low of the hitting area
- Gunn & Moore OCTANE DXM F2 series of cricket bats have a very big swell on the back, low down at the foot of the bat, making a hard-hitting sweet spot at the bottom of the face.
- Gunn & Moore MAXI DXM F4.5 series of cricket bats have a subtler swell low down at the foot of the bat. This makes for a sweet spot at the bottom of the face which requires more skill and swing power to hit as hard as on the Octane, however make the cricket bat nimbler.
Low positioned sweet spots would normally suit a batsman or women who drives the ball straight down the wicket. They may also benefit a big sweeping shot.
Gunn & Moore cricket bats that play well from the middle the hitting area
- Gunn & Moore SIX6 DXM F4.5 series of cricket bats have a big swell hard-hitting sweet spot in the middle of the face of the bat. This has the largest sweet spot of the GM bats for players who connect in the middle, meaning there is slightly more forgiveness than others
- Gunn & Moore MOGUL DXM F4.5 series of cricket bats have a sweet spot in the middle of the face and are slightly lighter with a smaller sweet spot than the SIX6 series. These suit a batter able to swing a little faster and harder who can be accurate with their strokes.
- Gunn & Moore MANA DXM F4.5 series of cricket bats also have a middle of the face sweet spot. This series is a smaller sweet spot requiring more accuracy but when you catch it sweet the power is impressive. The MANA series cricket bat from GM also features a more curved blade.
GM cricket bat with the sweet spot in the middle will be the choice of most batsmen of the middle order. Having a more central sweet spot will allow you to hit a wider variety of shots to different areas of the field.
Gunn & Moore cricket bats that play well from the top of the hitting area
- Gunn & Moore PARAGON DXM F4.5 series of cricket bats have a sweet spot at the top of the GM bat, nearer to the base of the handle. This slightly unusual position of a big pronounced swell gives a cleaner hit from the top of the bat.
With their only being one GM cricket bat designed to play shots from the top of the bat more powerfully than anywhere else, we can tell this is one of the least popular shot types on the cricket field. If you make these shots your preference then you will appreciate the extra power the position of this sweet spot allows you.
Not the only consideration
Of course all of the GM cricket bats will make other shots other than from the top, middle or bottom of the bat. This is only an indication of where the sweet spot is, the area of the bat that is more weighted and therefore more powerful.
The position of the sweet spot is certainly not the only thing to consider. You may prefer a complete flat face, a bowed or straight bat and of course prefer a grade of the construction material. All of which can have an effect on your game.
Be sure to read more on the best GM cricket bat for your style by checking out our series reviews and then the individual articles on the bats themselves.